Microsoft’s new Xbox app for iPhone and iPad now lets gamers play their favorite games from their mobile devices for the first time. The app feature had previously been available to testers, but the new Remote Play is now available to everyone.
The whole app has had a lick of paint but the new headline feature has to be Remote Play.
Anyone with an Xbox One will now be able to stream their game from their console, similar to the PS4 Remote Play app that has been around for a while. Gamers don’t need to be on the local WiFi network for this to work however, so anyone on 4G or 5G can play remotely.
However, as The Verge notes, the main aim here is to make xCloud available to iPhone and iPad gamers, eventually.
Microsoft has no official plans to bring the xCloud platform to the iOS, which enables standalone gaming streaming through the web without an Xbox console. Apple forces game streaming platforms to run through Safari, which makes it difficult for projects like xCloud to operate on iOS.
Microsoft’s new Xbox app for iPhone lets you stream Xbox games to an iPhone 😎 It’s coming soon, and here’s how it works. More information here: https://t.co/zsQ7S2cEis pic.twitter.com/env64JlaAt
— Tom Warren (@tomwarren) September 25, 2020
The Xbox app streams from a local Xbox One so doesn’t suffer from the same limitations Apple places on xCloud, thankfully.
Anyone who wants to download the newly updated Xbox app can get it from the App Store right now. It’s free, too, and requires iOS 12 or higher.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak