Apple’s next big display tech switch will likely be the arrival of mini-LED, but when? A new DigiTimes report claims that we could see the first mini-LED device come as soon as early 2021, in the form of a new iPad Pro.
The report claims that the new iPad Pro will feature mini-LED technology for the first time, with a MacBook using the same tech coming at some point afterward.
Osram Opto Semiconductors is expected to supply backlight-use mini LED for high-end MacBook in second-half 2021, becoming Apple’s second supplier of such chips next to Taiwan-based Epistar, according to industry sources.
Apple is expected to launch 12.9-inch mini LED-backlit iPad Pro in early 2021, with each tablet to use over 10,000 mini LEDs solely supplied by Epistar, the sources said. Epistar is ready to start production of mini LEDs by modifying its blue-light LED chipmaking equipment for producing such mini LEDs in third-quarter 2020, the sources noted.
We’ve previously heard something similar via analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. He has long said that the iPad Pro will be the first product to come with the mini-LED tech built in, with him at one point suggesting we might even see it before the end of 2020.
The use of mini-LED will allow Apple to make thinner, lighter devices with improved contrast, color, and black levels. It offers many of the same benefits as OLED, but without the issues it brings such as ghosting and more. The technology is costly, however, so it will be interesting to see what that does to Apple’s prices.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.0.1 Using Checkra1n 0.11.0, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Download iOS 14.0.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.0.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.0.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak