Apple’s introduction of Apple TV 4K has really seemed to shake things up in that particular space. In addition to Apple itself updating its own iTunes content to make available 4K offerings, the world’s largest streaming service, Netflix, is also making some changes of its own where its iPhone and iPad app is concerned.
Netflix is instantly recognizable as the default streaming service across the globe for those who want on-demand movies, TV shows, Netflix originals, and documentaries at any time on any device. The streaming business already offers High Dynamic Range (HDR) content as part of its service which allows those with compatible TVs and set-top boxes to stream that kind of content.
So, with that in mind, it shouldn’t come as a huge shock that an update to its iOS app introduces that same luxury for iPad Pro, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus owners as well as those who are planning on purchasing iPhone X when it’s available in a matter of weeks.
This isn’t going to be available for all content hosted and offered by Netflix, and, in all honesty, pretty much covers Netflix’s own original TV shows, movies, and documentaries. Those who are interested can simply search for “HDR” inside of Netflix to get a list of results back.
Where HDR, 4K, and streaming is concerned, there has also been an update from Apple’s side which is worth noting.
In a recently published support document, the company has stipulated that its new 4K+HDR content offered on iOS and tvOS through iTunes is there for streaming purposes only and cannot be downloaded directly to a device. According to the support document:
You can download a local copy of an HD movie, and you might be able to download HDR and Dolby Vision versions, but you can’t download a 4K version.
Apple has been through a process of upgrading existing HD purchases with 4K versions wherever possible free of charge, as well as selling 4K movies at same price as HD thanks to the deals it made with Hollywood studios. It is very much possible that those studios made Apple put this restriction in place as part of the deal to avoid any possibility of piracy and DRM crack as a result of those 4K downloads.
You may also like to check out:
- Fix For iOS 11 Warm Or Heating Up Phone Issue Worth Knowing About
- Does iOS 11 Slow Down Your iPhone With Animations And Such?
- Speed Up Or Fix iOS 11 Lag On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch [Tips]
- How To Fix iOS 11 WiFi Issues On iPhone And iPad
- Fix iOS 11 WiFi / Bluetooth Always On Or Turns On By Itself Issue, Here’s How
- Fix Bad iOS 11 Battery Life Drain Percentage Issue, Here’s How [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 11 To iOS 10.3.3 / iOS 10 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11, 11.0.1 Links & Install On iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]