Apple’s iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro lineups are the first to offer 5G connectivity. But according to a number of people, they aren’t very good at holding onto that connection. The same seems to go for 4G connections, too.
As spotted by 9to5Mac, people are taking to Reddit and the Apple Support forums to complain that they aren’t able to keep a data connection on their new iPhones, with the suggestion being that the problem mainly happens when the device has to hand off from one cell tower to another.
Here’s how one user reports the issue.
Received my iPhone 12 Pro on Friday. Activated it on Saturday. Sunday I drove for 10 mns and when I arrive to my destination I saw no reception bars and No Service. And in the middle of the screen in a grey box: Your iPhone is not Activated.
The only way to get the connection back was to toggle Airplane mode to ON then OFF.
The iPhone had the cellular mode to 5G Auto. I switched it to LTE to test. And it was the same.
So I resetted the network settings: same issue and I resetted the iPhone as a new iPhone and reinstalled everything from scratch (not from a saved backup): same issue.
I drove my car and found the exact location where the phone lost the network. If the phone lost the network it means I reach the end of the coverage area from a certain antenna. It looks like something happened with the phone when I reach a zone covered by a new antenna.
I called my operator and they told me that everything is good on their end and I have the right SIM card for a 5G device.
Apple is now working through some tests that have been carried out on that particular phone, but that doesn’t mean it’ll get fixed. The fact this is impacting multiple carriers suggests it is something on Apple’s side – whether that’s software, or hardware.
Have you had any issues with your device simply being unable to hold onto a connection? Have you found your iPhone in the same state as these users? Let us know in the comments below.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14.2 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.2
- Download iOS 14.2.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File For iPhone 12, mini, Pro, Pro Max
- Download: iOS 14.3 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.2 The Right Way [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak