The iPhone Dev team released their much awaited software solution to unlock iPhone 3G couple of days back.
However to install their yellowsn0w application to unlock iPhone 3G, you need to first jailbreak iPhone 3G.
So here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Windows users, on the same lines as the step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Mac users.
Some important points to note before we start:
- Hacking your iPhone 3G could void its warranty.
- Since one of the important requirements to unlock iPhone 3G is to upgrade to iPhone firmware 2.2 (as it exclusivley works with baseband firmware 02.28.00 which comes bundled with firmware 2.2), you need to be aware that iPhone firmware 2.2 breaks Turbo SIM (in case you are using it) – the hardware method to unlock iPhone 3G so if Dev team’s software method which is still in beta does not work you might not be able to use your iPhone 3G.
- This guide is to jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.2.
- This guide is for Windows users, Mac users can refer to this step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Mac).
Preparatory steps before jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Please take a backup of your iPhone, refer to this post for more details.
- Since Dev team’s unlocking solution works exclusively with baseband firmware 02.28.00, you will need to upgrade your iPhone 3G to iPhone firmware 2.2 without preserving its baseband. You can check your firmware and modem firmware(baseband) versions via Settings->General->About and look for Version and Modem Firmware.
- Please ensure that you have upgraded iTunes to iTunes 8.0.2.
- Please download QuickPwn for Windows from this link and unzip its contents in a folder.
- Please download firmware 2.2 for iPhone 3G using this link.
If your iPhone 3G firmware Version is 2.2 (5G77) and Modem Firmware is 02.28.00 then you are ready to jailbreak your iPhone 3G, you can skip directly to “Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn” below. If you want to update your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2 then you can follow these steps.
Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone Firmware 2.2:
- Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw file for firmware 2.2 that you have downloaded in step 5 of the preparatory steps and click “Open”.
- iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2 which takes sometime, please wait for the process to complete.
Once your iPhone 3G is updated to iPhone firmware 2.2, you are ready to use the QuickPwn tool to jailbreak it.
Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn:
- Launch QuickPwn from the unzipped folder to start jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Please ensure that your iPhone 3G is connected to your computer. QuickPwn will automatically detect it and enable the blue arrow button, click it to continue.
- In the next screen, click browse and select the iPhone firmware 2.2 that you had downloaded in step 5 of the preparatory steps and click Open.
- QuickPwn will check if the firmware file selected is the same as the one installed on your iPhone 3G, if valid it will enable the blue arrow button, click it to continue.
- In the next screen, you will be prompted to install Cydia, Installer (both are preselected) and if you would like to Replace the Boot Logos. Install both Cydia and Installer as you will need it to install Dev team’s unlock yellowsn0w application and also to install jailbreak apps.
- QuickPwn will again prompt you to ensure that your iPhone 3G is connected to your computer via USB, click the blue arrow button to continue.
- QuickPwn will now automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode. Once its in recovery mode you will be prompted to: Hold the Home button for 5 seconds, Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the Power button and continuing holding the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode.
- Its important that you follow the instructions carefully, if it does not work and get an error message then try again, once your iPhone 3G is in DFU mode QuickPwn will start the jailbreaking process.
- QuickPwn will inform you as soon as the jailbreaking process is successfully completed.
- After your iPhone 3G reboots, it will be jailbroken and will have Cydia and Installer apps installed and visible on your iPhone’s home screen.
As always, don’t forget to drop us a line to tell us how it goes.