Just as had been threatened, it seems that the United States is banning TikTok and WeChat on its shores. Or, more specifically, it’s banning it from App Stores that service the United States. And it’s happening soon – September 20, to be exact.
TikTok has already been trying to prevent this by seeking a buyer for the U.S. operations. So far that hasn’t been arranged, but Reuters says the ban could be removed if a buyout does go through.
ByteDance has been talks with Oracle Corp and others to create a new company, TikTok Global, that aims to address U.S. concerns about the security of its users’ data. ByteDance still needs Trump’s approval to stave off a U.S. ban.
The good news here is that while Apple and Google will need to remove the two apps from their respective app stores in the United States, they won’t be forced to do the same thing around the world. That’s good news for Apple in China, where it had been expected to lose huge market share if a full ban was implemented.
This all stems from the Trump administration’s distrust of apps that are “untrusted” because of their Chinese origin. But these apps are huge, with TikTok having around 100 million users across the United States.
If you want to use either app, we’d suggest downloading them now before it’s too late. Android users will have the option of sideloading but that isn’t something available to iPhone owners, unfortunately.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Download iOS 14 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14
- Jailbreak iOS 14 Status Update For iPhone And iPad
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- Downgrade iOS 13.7 To iOS 13.6.1, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak