Apple Watch uses both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to move data to the iPhone. It defaults to a Bluetooth connection whenever possible due to the fact that it saves power, but if your iPhone is not in Bluetooth stove, Apple Watch will certainly change over to suitable Wi-Fi if it is available.
For Wi-Fi to work on Apple Watch, it has to be 802.11 b/g/n on a 2.4 GHz band. It will certainly not connect to the faster speed 5GHz Wi-Fi, nor will certainly it link to public networks requiring logins, subscriptions, or profiles. It will likewise not work if your paired iPhone has never connected to the local Wi-Fi network before. This is because Apple Watch can not set up brand-new Wi-Fi networks on its own. It can connect to networks that you have actually set up on the paired phone.
When your paired iPhone is out of variety, and it is not connected to the very same Wi-Fi network, there are a number of features that are still available:
- You can play music from a synced playlist. Include music via the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and sync Apple Watch by placing it on the charger. You can accumulate to 2GB of music.
- You can use the clock, alarm, timer, and stopwatch. All functions for each of those apps are available when your iPhone is out of stove.
- You can track stand, move, and workout actions through the Activity app. This info will sync with your iPhone when you are back in stove.
- You can track exercises in the Exercise app. It is a good concept to calibrate your Apple Watch initially in order to get the most accurate reading.
- You can display pictures from a synced picture album. Add albums via the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Photos sync immediately.
- Use Apple Pay at participating retail stores to make purchases. When the payment kiosk is in range, open the Apple Pay app to make a deal.
There are also a couple of additional things you can do if your paired iPhone is out of range however you are still on the very same Wi-Fi network. For example, if your phone was at your desk, however you are 5 flights up in the exact same office structure on the same network, or if you were on campus and you left your phone in your locker (assuming the Wi-Fi works and does not need logins, subscriptions, or profiles).
- You can send out and get texts by means of iMessage.
- If you know someone else with an Apple Watch, you can send and receive Digital Touch messages.
- You can utilize Siri to inspect your calendar, set reminders, and more.
- You can examine Weather, Email, Reminders, the Calendar app, and all native apps.
- Inspect your current location using Apple Maps.
- You can likewise access most third-party apps.
If you forget where you left your iPhone while wandering the halls, you can ping it making use of Apple Watch. Swipe up from the watch face and swipe to the very first Glances screen. Then, tap the Ping button. This will trigger a loud audio signal on your iPhone, even if the ringer is set to quiet. If you utilize a long tap, it’ll likewise trigger the flash on the iPhone to trigger. This feature is terrific for times when you have actually lost your iPhone. Keep in mind that Apple Watch need to be linked to your iPhone either via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi for this function to work.
If, for some factor, your Apple Watch disconnects from your paired iPhone, follow our how-to guide to fix the issue.
Apple Watch works best when combined to your iPhone by means of Bluetooth. Information transfers in between both devices are smoother, faster, and use up less energy. Nevertheless, you can still work when your paired iPhone is not in Bluetooth range, as long as they are both on the very same Wi-Fi network. An added benefit is that Apple Watch has about a half-dozen useful functions that work, even when it is not connected to your iPhone at all.